British Nutrition Foundation Celebrates Future Leaders in Food, Nutrition and Health
03 Jan, 2023 - Teachers and pupils from schools across the UK were awarded the British Nutrition Foundation Drummond Education Award, recognising our future nutrition scientists at the very beginning of their careers. The award was presented during the British Nutrition Foundation’s Annual Awards ceremony, which highlights and champions those who have made positive and important contributions within the food and nutrition community.
The British Nutrition Foundation Drummond Education Awards were first established to promote interest in studying food and nutrition, highlight food qualifications and recognise the achievements of top students at GCSE/National 5 level, and now also at post-16 qualification level. Prizes were awarded to the students who received the highest grades in food and nutrition subjects by their respective examination boards – AQA, EDUQAS, OCR, SQA, WJEC – and the hard work and dedication of each winning student's teacher was recognised and rewarded too.
Elaine Hindal, Chief Executive, British Nutrition Foundation said: “It is truly inspiring to see pupils today so engaged in food and nutrition education. Each pupil receiving the Drummond Education Award has demonstrated an incredible ability and should be proud of their achievements. We are also pleased to be recognising the phenomenal teachers who are educating the next generation of nutrition scientists, teachers and leaders in food, nutrition and health.”
The British Nutrition Foundation Drummond Education Award 2022 winning students and recognised teachers for GCSE and Scotland’s National 5 were:
● AQA – GCSE in Food Preparation and Nutrition
○ Millicent Figueira and Steph Beales, Wallington High School for Girls
○ Daisy Fennelow and Ms Kayleigh Hills, The Nobel School in Stevenage
● EDUQAS – GCSE in Food Preparation and Nutrition
○ Hannah Shibli and Ms Kate Finlay, Invicta Grammar School in Maidstone
○ Aimee Colin and Ms Jackie Merry, Gillingham School
● OCR – GCSE in Food Preparation and Nutrition
○ Reghav Relhan and Mr Jim Perry, King Edward VI Grammar School in Chelmsford
● SQA – National 5 in Health and Food Technology
○ Lucy McKay and Ms Amy Grigor, Balwearie High School in Kirkcaldy
● WJEC – GCSE in Food Preparation and Nutrition
○ Frances Davies-Walsh and Lynwen Lloyd, Radyr Comprehensive School in Cardiff
The British Nutrition Foundation Education Award 2022 winning students and recognised teachers for post-16 Advanced Higher and Level 3 qualifications were:
● SQA – Advanced Higher in Health and Food Technology
○ Anna Woodhead and Mahri Dinning, Perth High School
● WJEC – Level 3 Applied Diploma: Food Science and Nutrition
○ Ashni Modi and Mr Rory Lewis, Loughborough High School
The Education Awards have been made possible through British Nutrition Foundation’s management of the Drummond Memorial Fund, established in 1954 in memory of the work of Sir Jack Drummond, who made a significant contribution to developments in the application of nutrition science for public health benefit.