Magnitude of Land
canal areas there is tendency of farmers to over irrigate, following are the other causes
of excess use of water.
- Tendency of the cultivator to over
irrigation of his fields.
- Water is not charged on volumetric
basis and hence there is no incentive to use it economically.
- No attention is paid beyond
distributory outlets to breaches in the bunds and water flowing out, because there is no
penalty for such breaches.
- Watercourses beyond distributory
outlets are not given proper grade and water runs too fast causing soil erosion, wastage
of water and water logging.
water cause water logging conditions, soil may be ill drained and causes following harmful
- In low lying areas excess water if
cannot be carried away as surface runoff causes water logged condition which affects
aeration and soil temperature.
- The fine texture soils due to poor
permeability the water cannot move downward fast enough and accumulates on the surface,
obstructing aeration. In sandy soil if heavy irrigation is given the water will rapidly
percolate down and will be wasted.
- The water table may be high and the
additional water accumulates and chokes the air spaces and saturates the surface and
- Many toxic salts affecting water
absorption by roots and causes damage to crops.
- Agricultural operation viz. inter
cultivation cannot be carried out properly.
- Weeds, which compete for nutrients,
space and light, grow rapidly and interfere, crop growth and cultural operations.
- Due to excess water soil structure get